Sunday, June 29, 2008

Still Learning

Apparently, steroids enhance one's sense of well-being, and once the effects wear off the being does not feel as well.

So it is with me. It seems like once the effects of the steroids I received at the chemo treatment wore off, I was not quite as happy a camper as I had been on Friday. Luckily, this weekend I was surrounded by friends with warm hearts and loving souls. They propped me up on the deck of the lake house and nourished me with their wonderful food and tales that are still worth telling. I could close my eyes and listen to their stories, and join in when I felt like it. Many thanks for that special time.

I am still amazed by all the support that I have received since the end of May. Aside from this blog, there is a website with occasional updates and a schedule for providing food for my family and me. If you are interested, it is http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/605295/

Looking ahead to this week, I am forced to maintain a day to day schedule. I know what I would like to do tomorrow, and what a 3 day weekend in the summer could look like, but I am consigned to do what I can.

I meant to thank Amy for the new photo added to the blog. Me at Canyon Ranch. Hopefully I will be back there soon.


Sweet dreams.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in Atlanta and reconnected to the Internet. Had you in our hearts & thoughts at every stop along the Georgia Golden Isles. Sending hugs to YOU and yours!
Love, Susan & Mark

Barnold said...

Elyse, Michelle called me on Thursday to let me know what was going on with you and give me the blog address. Hard to know what to say other than I hate
that you are having to go through this. That being said and having known you for more than 40 years --
and having sat in front of you, or close by, since
the 5th grade -- I can say with confidence that you
are a tough cookie and have been from the get go.
Try not to let this get you down. How fortunate you are to have such a good support group. Please know
that I am thinking about you and praying for you
everyday. much love, Bonnie

Joanie Shubin said...

Elyse,
I only wish I had the perfect words to express to you. One thing Lewis and I know is that you are the strongest woman both physically and mentally we know and this disease is going to be sorry it chose to mess with you!!!Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you always. We are in Colorado for the next few weeks but look forward to seeing you when we return. I promise to take a couple of hikes and bike rides in your honor!!! Take care and be strong.
Love,
Joanie and Lewis

Anonymous said...

Dear Elyse:

I hope that all is progressing along. I'm usually very good with words, especially writing them. I keep telling kids that as a lawyer we get paid hundred's of dollars per hour to simply write term papers.

I'm still left feeling that I just can't seem to write what is in my heart about your situation. SO just know you and John are in my thoughts and prayers.

Joe Rosen

Steve Beagle said...

Ali - nothing the cut man in your corner can not take care off. Easy for me to say.. Glad to hear you were able to relax a bit at the lake.. no for your RX - this time we focus on Puns.. as they say a good pun is it's own reword..

-----------------
Two weevils grew up in South Carolina. One went to Hollywood and became a famous actor. The other stayed behind in the cotton fields and never amounted to much. The second one, naturally, became the lesser of two weevils...

-----

Mahatma Gandhi walked barefoot everywhere and developed callouses over his feet. He also ate very little which made him rather frail, while his odd diet gave him bad breath.. he was indeed a ( buckle up for this.. )

super-calloused fragile mystic plagued with halitosis

--------------------------

Harry is tried for bigamy after marrying Kate and Edith. In court, the prosecutor declares that .. ( buckle up again for this )..

Harry wanted to have his Kate and Edith too !

Allright I will say good night Steve .. one more...

Did you hear about the buddhist who refused Novocaine during the root canal procedure ?

He wanted to Transcend Dental Medication...

Anonymous said...

Elyse,

When I think of you at the lake, I am reminded of the first time I was introduced to you-as a youngster in Village 4. You were never without a swath of zinc across your nose! (bet i am not the only one with that image...).

We are thinking of you.

Jana and Craig

Anonymous said...

Hi Elyse
Just want to send you hugs and love and to let you know that I am thinking about you often! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.. Please give Brent a hearty hello from his "favorite" photographer :-)

Love
Paula Gould