Monday, June 23, 2008

Treatment Plan

Monday I begin the 7 week regimen of radiation, and weekly doses of carbo platinum and taxol, also for 7 weeks. There could be more chemotherapy, but it will depend on several contingencies that will be discussed at the end of the 7 weeks. Dubovsky (medical oncologist) prefers another 2 hits of chemotherapy 21 days apart, but again, it will depend on several factors. I will lose my hair (yuck), and if I do not start eating, Dr. D. is threatening to put in a feeding tube (yuckier). So, my goal between now and Monday is to gain no less than 5 lbs. Dr. D. recommends milkshakes, chocolate, Starbuck's Frappaccino in a bottle, and Bailey's Irish Cream. When I complained about the sugar, he told me I was too "rigid." Desperate times call for desperate measures, says he. Once the treatment begins, he expects that I will receive much of my nutrition from smoothies with all the protein additives I can find, including tofu, and protein powders.

Tomorrow I will be instructed on what to expect from chemotherapy (chemotherapy for dummies?), and have a few more x's drawn on my chest for the radiation. All in all, I am relieved that there is a plan, and my weight aside, I am more than ready to begin.

Sweet dreams, everyone.

3 comments:

ERE said...

E - I love to bake, so you would be doing me a huge favor by giving me some assignments - your favorite high calorie goodies. I mean it!

love you - Elise

Anonymous said...

(If anyone, like me, who might not have known this psalm, but might want to say it)



Psalm 20 of David

Trust in the Name of the Lord Our God
To the choirmaster.

A Psalm of David.20
1 May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the G-d of Jacob protect you!
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
and give you support from Zion!
3 May he remember all your offerings
and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices! Selah

4 May he grant you your heart's desire
and fulfill all your plans!
5 May we shout for joy over your salvation,
and in the name of our G-d set up our banners!
May the Lord fulfill all your petitions!

6 Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed;
he will answer him from his holy heaven
with the saving might of his right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the Lord our G-d.
8 They collapse and fall,
but we rise and stand upright.

9 O Lord, save the king!
May he answer us when we call.

Lenore and Scott said...

I know it's tacky to say "I'm jealous", but hey, if the foo shits....I know you are very anxious to get started on treatment - even if it means eating sugar and high calorie stuff. So, follow Doctor's order and try to enjoy your indulgences and keep thinking, 'it's good for me, it's good for me.' Please let Scott know if you need rides or anything. He is around and willing and able. God speed as you embark on the next phase of your adventure.